Inspired by the cook book workshop with Nell Nelson, I’m considering writing a cook book. I’m not looking for publication, it’s purely a test of my writing skills. These are my thoughts. Please let me know what you think.
- Audience: absolute beginners. I’ll be writing for teenagers and young adults with little previous exposure to cooking and the kitchen.
- Aim: I want to help beginners get to know their ingredients and get comfortable using them, hopefully encouraging them to experiment a bit.
- Format: A downloadable PDF laid out so that recipes can be printed on an A4 sheet and used in the kitchen.
- Distribution: My website and this blog. And any other website that wants it.
- Chapters: Read this first – tools, techniques, ingredients (store cupboard and freshly bought); Now cook – basic soup recipe, followed by recipes for a variety of vegetable-based soups (carrot, leek & potato, red pepper, broccoli & stilton, spinach, onion, sweet potato).
It’s not a huge project, I have most of the recipes written down already and would mostly have to work on the Read this first chapter. It could, realistically, be done for the new year. The question is whether it should be done.