As the weather’s getting colder and the nights are closing in, I’ve developed a hankering for warm desserts. Luckily, the SousVide Supreme Demi is great for desserts. Below, are my two favourites: pumpkin custards and a simple rice pudding.
The pumpkin custards are basically pumpkin pie without the pastry. That works for me since it’s the spicy custard inside that I enjoy. I like them just the way they are, but you can serve them with cream or ice cream.
The rice pudding is based on a Swedish recipe – risgrynsgröt – that uses less butter and cream than some of the British recipes I’ve read, and is flavoured with cinnamon instead of nutmeg.
It could be served with sous vide pears or other cooked fruits: it’s mild creaminess works really nicely against sharper, fruity flavours. I like it sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon.
- 33 grams risotto rice.
- ½ tsp vanilla infused sugar (or normal caster sugar).
- ½ tsp butter (or the same of almond oil).
- 200 ml milk.
- Pinch of salt.
- Mix all ingredients together in a jam jar.
- Put in sous vide at 84C for 1.5 hours, stirring every half an hour or so.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and serve in the jar or decant into a bowl.
- 1 tin of Libby's compacted pumpkin (or 425 grams of boiled and puréed pumkin).
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked.
- ¼ pint condensed milk.
- ¼ pint dulche the leche.
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ vanilla pod.
- Whisk all the ingredients together.
- Pour into ramekins (depending on the size of them, this makes 6 - 7 portions).
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap.
- Put in water bath at 90C for 1 hour. (Put the ramekins on the grille and then add the water - else the water rises as you add the ramekins and might rise above their tops. Luckily, a dousing doesn't affect them if the plastic wrap is tight enough. Before filling, I raised the grille to the correct level by putting it on top of four spare ramekins.)
- Take out, remove plastic wrap and let cool somewhat before serving. They puff a little when cooking and will sink down when cooling.
SousVide have a promotional package for the Supreme Demi with everything you need to get started: a SousVide Supreme Demi, a vacuum sealer and a variety of pouches for £351.00.