The restaurants listed here are ones that don’t also offer produce. There are more restaurants out there that deliver and we will update this list as we come across them. Meanwhile, here are nine brave restaurants that have adjusted to the current situation and work hard to keep us culinarily entertained at home.
April 20: since I first wrote this, a number of services have come onboard. I’m keeping the post title but there are lot more than nine in the list now.
May 16: more and more restaurants offer take-away and delivery as we get closer to loosening stay-at-home rules. I’ve added another handful today – some deliver, some do pick-up.
In alphabetic order: Aizle & Noto At Home CaterEdinburgh Civerinos Dough The Fishmarket Harajuku Kitchen IN Merienda La Garrigue La P’tit Filou Leftfield @ Home Ondine Paolozzi Restaurant & Bar Ransacked Black Oven Six by Nico Stac Polly Three Birds Union of Genius The Wedgewood Restaurant Whiskers Wine Bar
- Innovative and delicious three courses meal and a bottle of wine (food and wine as offered by the restaurant, no tweaks) delivered Friday and Saturday to Edinburgh central locations. Limited numbers available. Aizle and Noto, their new restaurant, are well known for excellent and interesting cooking with a strong eye to sustainability. Read Amy’s review of Aizle from a while back or her more recent review of Noto.
- Dinner for two £70.
- See the menu and order online. When it’s sold out, it’s sold out.
- Home-made ready meals for contactless delivery in the city centre.
- Service starts at £140 for 30 meals plus £10 for delivery.
- Book a week in advance and pre-pay online.
Call on 07961 573 658 or email Barry for details.
- Pizza by the slice, 14″ or 20″, including vegetarian and vegan options, sides, desserts and drinks.
- Dough-it at home activity kit: make your own pizza, as fun as it is tasty.
- £10 Pay It Forward NHS Pizza available, safely delivered with your message of support.
- Order contactless delivery by calling 0131 225 4026, using the app or through Deliveroo.
Delicious, fresh NY-style pizzas with interesting toppings. We’ve written about Civerinos twice before, once when Caroline made her own pizza and once when Amy visited Civerino Slice.
- Really good pizza made with simple ingredients. Good vegan and veggie options. 10″ and 14″ sizes.
- Minimum order: £10; delivery charge: £2.50.
- Weekends only.
A friend sent me a Butternut Squashed vegan friendly pizza for her birthday (I know, the world is upside down) the other week. I loved it! Dough’s pizza base proves for a long time so is full of flavour. It was topped with well-chillied butternut squash purée, roast butternut squash, walnuts – needed in all that sweetness – and butternut squash crisps. Utterly delish! (And good the following day.)
- Fish and chips, scampi, squid, lobster, monkfish curry (and more) made with fresh, sustainable fish and seafood.
- Collection and delivery (through Deliveroo). Order collection on the food collections page.
- Japanese food from award-winning Japanese bistro. A selection of hot and cold dishes, noodles and sushi. We reviewed Harajuku Kitchen a few years ago: the food is great.
- lines open 4pm, Wednesday to Sunday.
- To order, cal 0131 281 0526. Menu online.
- Seasonal Scottish produce prepared by chef Lachlan Archibald and delivered to your door.
- Four-course meal (two choices offered for starter and main) includes bread and butter. Delivered Thursday through Sunday.
- £35 per person
- The menu goes up in Instagram.
- Authentic Languedoc cooking: seasonal, respectful and always delicious. Food is prepared to be heated at home. For a bit of fun, there’s a home picnic option available: snacks and wine for your own garden (or sofa) party. Wine also available.
- Minimum order £22 (the same as a three-course meal). Delivery £5.
- Order online for pickup or delivery Friday through Sunday. Pickup is between 4pm and 5pm; deliveries start at 5.30pm.
- Cheese and meat platters for collection between 2pm – 4pm Friday and Saturday only. Order by 12 noon to pick up the same day. (Please specify which day to avoid confusion.)
- Medium platter £24, large £40. Mix half-and-half or go full cheese or full cured meats. Comes with olives, gherkins, bread and oatcakes. Croque-Mosieur also available (needs to be heated) £5. Wine also available – see lists online.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to order, or order through the Facebook page. Bank details on line.
- Sensational seafood platters for collection. Take a trip to the Med from your home. Locally sourced and freshly cooked seafood. New theme every week. Other packages, platters, sides, puddings and drinks available.
- Cold seafood platter for two £50 – packages adds sides and more. As an example, a cold seafood platter, two sides and two bottles of rosé is £85. Veggie mezze platter also available £16.
- Order online and collect. menus are updated and online ordering starts Monday for Friday and Saturday pickup.
- Social distancing menu with full-sized starters, mains, and desserts, delivered with instructions on how to re-heat from Michelin Bib Gourmand winning restaurant. The wine list is also available.
- Minimum order £50.
- Delivery Wednesday and Saturday, order by noon the day before by emailing email@example.com.
Under normal circumstances, Merienda created delectable small plates for sharing and lingering over. The Social Distancing Menu, the first I saw in Edinburgh, has full-sized dishes to make eating at home easy and delicious. Read our very enthusiastic review of Merienda’s small plate menu last year.
- Excellent (award-winning) Scottish seafood delivered to you home. We’ve reviewed Ondine a few times: it really is very good.
- Three-course dinner and a bottle of wine (if you order two), £45 per person. Only 50 meals available.
- Check Instagram for the menu.
- Order Monday – Tuesday 12pm-5pm by calling Craig on 0131 226 1888, for delivery of pick-up Friday or Saturday.
- Pizza and beer delivered for as little as £12. Obviously, you can order more pizza, more beer (or wine) and even ice cream or mini cannoli.
- Delivery between 5pm – 10pm Thursday to Sunday in EH1 to EH11 postcodes.
- Order and pay online.
- Meze sharing boards, manoush pizzas, wraps and sides.
- Ransacked Black Oven also operate a Pay it Forward scheme for care workers.
- Delivery/collections 12pm-9pm Wednesday-Sunday.
- Available through Deliveroo, contactless drive-through pick-up, or their own delivery (to get this, order by 4pm the day before).
Ransacked had to close when the restaurants were closed down, but came back with take-away and deliveries. I’m a firm fan and am delighted to see them offering their food to the lockdown options.
- Locally sourced, locally cooked, restaurant-quality food delivered to your home.
- Pre-order Friday before for the Friday/Saturday afternoon from menu sent out to newsletter subscribers.
- Deliveries within 5 miles from Glasgow and Edinburgh city centre restaurants.
Six by Nico has a firm following of fans of their quirky six themed dish cooking. Kerry wrote very positively about them after her and I tried the chippie menu last year.
- Seasonal Scottish produce cooked with French flair from one of Edinburgh’s classic restaurants. You’ll find the menu online, under Menu on the Dublin Street restaurant’s site. They also offer their wine list for take-away or delivery with a £10 discount on list price.
- Discounts for several courses (stock up that freezer!): 10% off food orders over £50, 20% off food over £100.
- Collection or delivery (£2), 5pm-9pm.
- To order, call 0131 556 2231.
Stac Polly is an Edinburgh fixture. The team is using the Dublin Street restaurant to provide delivery or collection seven days a week. Edinburgh Foody Danielle reviewed the restaurant when the Dublin Street opened, back in the halcyon days when gin was “enjoying something of a renaissance”.
- Mezze box for sharing, a variety of mains, sides and sweets, kids meals and grocery boxes. You’ll find the menu on Instagram.
- Minimum order £15. Takeaway or delivery (£3).
- Email order to firstname.lastname@example.org. They call you back to take payment and arrange Friday or Saturday delivery.
- Bags of soup (two large or three small portions per bag) delivered in the city centre by bike. You’ll find the menu and terms on Twitter.
- Minimum order £12.
- Order by emailing email@example.com, text or What’sApp on 07954 541296 (don’t call – Elaine is cooking).
Union of Genius is a by-word for excellent soup. Amy worked with them, once upon a time, and Edinburgh Foody has been a fan since before they got a dedicated kitchen. The only thing better than having Union of Genius soup from them or a friendly café is having it at home.
- Takeaway and delivery from one of the 2019 Best Restaurant winner in the Edinburgh Restaurant Awards. Starters, mains and desserts, local produce and French techniques. You’ll find the menu on Instagram.
- Minimum order £17.50 (the price of a three-course meal). Free delivery within a mile of the restaurant, £2.50 within two. For further away, give them a call.
- Delivery available between 12-9pm.
- Menus released on Tuesday, pre-order for the weekend (Thursday-Sunday).
- Order by calling 0131 558 8737, emailing or messaging.
Wedgwood The Restaurant is a popular fixture on the Royal Mile. The food is excellent and the service great. I’ve been a few times and have even reviewed the experience.
- Classic British fair – for example comforting fish and chips, sausages and mash, kedgeree.
- A selection of hot and cold dishes delivered at weekends; roast dinners (limited number) on Sundays.
- Specials – two mains, two desserts and a bottle of wine – start at £40.
- Find the menu online from Thursday each week.
A few more restaurants
If you’re reading this, you are probably as concerned for Edinburgh’s – and Britain’s – food businesses as I am. We can help by shopping locally. Support the restaurants and companies that re staying open. Here are some other food business that are helping to feed us during lockdown:
- Dirty Edinburgh – hamburgers delivered? The Insta goss is that these are good! (Thursday – Saturday.)
Outside of Edinburgh
- Down the Hatch – South Queensferry-based outfit which delivers very generous servings of burgers, well-stuffed sandwiches and Bross bagels. Also BBQ packs for customers in Linlithgow, Bo’ness, Broxburn, Dunfermline and Rosyth. Order through app.
- The Wee Restaurant – local and seasonal food with classic flair delivered for reheating and eating to around South Queensferry (and across the bridge – check website for areas). Ordering goes online Sunday for delivery Friday evening or Saturday morning (depending on area). Delivery charge £5.